Are you wondering how to write a killer about us page? One that gives everything and anything a customer, potential customer or partnering business might want to know about you. This article is designed to get you thinking about who you are, why you started your business and what your business is. Put your thinking cap on, sit in the best location for to get some serious work done and let’s do this.
First let’s look at some very well done about us pages. Warby Parker is a fantastic example. Their about us page is clear, concise and engaging. If you have a moment we encourage you to check it out! In the meantime we will get started with writing your own brand story or about us page.
- First thing is first. You know what your business name is, now what is your tagline? If you don’t already have a tagline, a tagline is slogan or catchphrase used in advertising to describe or compliment your business. For example:
- Apple- Think Different
- McDonalds- I’m Lovin it
- Verizon- Can you hear me now?
These are just a few notable brands that everyone knows. By now you are all singing the song that plays on every Mcdonalds commercial and wanting to respond to phone calls with, “can you hear me now?”. It’s ok we are too. However, we highly recommended you don’t actually answer you phone that way, you might lose a few customers.
- The next thing to think about is; what is one or two words to describe your business? When customers think about your business, what is the one word you want them to use to describe you? This is something that you will incorporate into your mission statement. Back to Warby Parker, their mission statement is “Warby Parker was founded with a rebellious spirit and a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price, while leading the way for socially conscious businesses.” Their words would be socially conscious. Here are some examples to get you started!
- Socially conscious
- Who are you competitors? This may seem pretty self explanatory BUT this goes much deeper than knowing the names of who your competition is. We want you to really get to know the competition inside and out. This will be pivotal in your marketing strategy later on as you will probably use your competitors as details in your targeting of your ads. Here are some questions to answer about each of your competitors.
- Who is has the same business or is providing the same service as you?
- What is there name?
- Where are they located?
- What is their tagline?
- What colors do they use on their webpage?
- What do you do that makes you different?
- Why do you want someone to hire you instead?
- Where are they marketing?
- What organizations are they in?
- Networking groups
- Where do you see your company in 5-10 years? This is where and how you will write your vision statement. These reach for the stars goals are the things that drive us. Give us passion. Push us harder. Inspire us to make a lasting change. Another way to think of this is the following; if you were standing in an auditorium speaking at a conference, who would be there and what would you be saying. If you are having a hard time, just start writing anything that comes to mind or go talk to a friend, your vision will become clear before you even know it.
When writing your about us page, think about each one of these sections as a paragraph. You have four paragraphs with 4-6 sentences each to communicate who you are, what you’re doing, and why you are doing it. We know it can be hard, but like all things, we know you can do it and we can’t wait to read your about pages.
You can read the original article here at WPMaster.me